I left my comfy job as an ICU nurse in America to spend 6 months in South Africa working as a volunteer nurse in a longterm HIV/AIDS care center. I have no idea what God has planned for me but this is me sharing my stories and adventures along the way.







Thursday, April 7, 2011

One day of nursing in Africa

I've had alot of different and interesting experiences since I've been here in Africa.  No two days are ever alike.  Today was one of those days you just have to write about.......
0730 started with an sms (text) from a friend asking me to give a ride to one of the volunteers to the Living Hope campus.  Of course I grumbled because I didn't have to be at work until 0930 but I did the right thing and got up and took her.

0818 came another sms about a young child who may have been abused and could I take the child and have her looked at.  What the?  What do I do with that?  Well praise the Lord it turned out to be nothing and the child is fine.

1100 my team and I finally make it to a township called Capricorn where we are going to start doing 20 pediatric assessments which consists of about 13 different pieces of paper each.  Luckily the number turned out to be just 8 (which is bad enough to have that many sick children but still better than 20).  Amy (another American nurse volunteer) and I thought we may be able to get 5 of these done today. Haha.  4 hours later we are struggling to get 2 completed.  Our second assessment was the dysfunctional dream come true!  I didn't think it was possible to feel physical pain from listening to someone go on and on and not say anything but now I know it's true.  Friends please pray for this family.  I don't mean to make light of the situation and I won't go into it but they have major issues going on and I don't see anything but Jesus fixing it.

1500 and we are finally having lunch.  We go to the local Pic n Pay to try to get something somewhat healthy to eat (we are surrounded by fast, fattening food) and sit outside just to inhale our food.

1530 we stop in Fish Hoek (a local neighboorhood) to see a possible patient referral.  Leigh says "it shouldn't take too long, it's just to see if she' appropriate admission to the health care center".  You know when you say that you are asking for it.  And boy did we.  I was so stunned by the state of this woman I couldn't even say anything. This poor gal is a straight up psychiatric case which I think her doctor was so desperate to get her help she was willing to send her anywhere and decided to try and put her on us at the health care center (which unfortunately happens to us alot).  Leigh was amazing and calm and finally got us out of there.  It was a very quiet walk to the car but we all agreed we couldn't help this lady.

1630 Amy and I in true nursing fashion had to sit and do a little debrief and have a laugh with our coordinators.  It's that or go crazy....Oh wait I've already tried that.  Okay so maybe to keep us from going legally crazy.  I'm very grateful to have these people in my life and don't know what I would do without them.

1948 So by this point I have settled in for the night.  I ate (healthy) and am watching my American TV shows (thanks to Danielle helping me figure out how to) and have decided against the gym today when I get a call to help a 4 year old who has hurt his arm and the parents are concerned it might be infected and can I come and look at it.  I did a little patch up job on the cutest little kid with dirty blue eyeglasses. 

I laughed on the way home how it seems when you are a nurse you never stop being a nurse.  You are on call all the time.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am grateful that God called me to this career path and to here in Africa.  I have got to do things I never thought I was capable of but He knew I was.  As my time draws to a close hereI just pray the I will bring home my servant's heart and do God's will back home.  God bless all you nurses out there.  You may not be able to always see your reward but believe me God does.

Blessings,
Tracy

1 comment: