I left my comfy job as an ICU nurse in America to spend 6 months in South Africa working as a volunteer nurse in a longterm HIV/AIDS care center. I have no idea what God has planned for me but this is me sharing my stories and adventures along the way.







Monday, October 22, 2012

Today I found this old journal entry from my time in Africa.  I would like to share it if you're interested in reading it.  Reminds me exactly of why I'm going back.......



My time at Living Hope

What makes someone decide to give up their life as they know it and move to a foreign country, to care for patients you've never cared for before and throw yourself into an entirely new culture?  Jesus.  Plain and simple.
I came to South Africa with my church in November 2009 and felt my heart was home.  I stood at the entrance of the female ward and told my pastor "I could do this.  I could move here and work here".  I filled out my application and one year God brought me "home".
My six months here have gone by like 6 weeks.  I have learned so much since being here.  I've had my heart broken more than I cared to but God sometimes has to rough us up to grow us up (as my devotional told me this morning).
I believe in Living Hope and all it stands for.  I've gotten to see first hand all the good work LH does, at the Health Care Center and in all 5 of our communities.  I've seen sick patients lying in their beds dying and still praising Jesus.
I am thankful that we are able to spread the word of God to our patients and to see them receive their salvation before they die.  I am grateful that I will see them whole again one day in Heaven.
I have had the chance to do Home Base Care in several of our communities.  To be able to work along side our carers and see the hard physical and emotional work they do..........


For some reason I just stopped there and didn't finish my thoughts.  Why?  I'm not sure.  But I will tell you this.....
TO BE CONTINUED!!!!
Tracy


No comments:

Post a Comment