I left my comfy job as an ICU nurse in America to spend 6 months in South Africa working as a volunteer nurse in a longterm HIV/AIDS care center. I have no idea what God has planned for me but this is me sharing my stories and adventures along the way.







Friday, December 3, 2010

A PLACE LIKE THIS

It's 5 pm and I have not done a word of charting on a single patient.  In my old work life this would make me stressed and probably stay way past my shift.  Then I remember I left that life for a place like this.

I am sitting outside at 5pm with my feet up on a bench and beginning to chart my patient assessments.  The breeze is blowing and in the background the ladies (carers) I work with are singing to the patients.  Very loudly I might add.  But it is truly one of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard. For just a moment nothing else matters.  I'm sitting there with a big goofy grin on my face and thinking, I'm in Africa.  God has granted me another day on this earth, I am very happy, I am not stressed and I am working for an amazing organization and feel I am doing some good here.

Today I answered the phone to find the founder of Living Hope, John Thomas, on the other end of the line.  I wish all of you could have the chance to meet him once.  Or actually you better not because he has a way of making you fall in love with Living Hope and you end up a missionary!  He spent the whole conversation thanking me for giving up my life at home and coming here to help them in the Health Care Center.  The thanks actually goes to him because if he had not been given a calling from God this place, this wonderful place and organization would never have happened.  I encourage any of you who haven't read their story please in your spare time go to livinghope.co.za.  It really is an amazing story.  And if you are ever looking for somewhere to donate your funds I can't think of a better place for you to do it.

Today Father Christmas came to visit the patients and gave them goodies.  It was very sweet.  Not matter what age you are, what color you are (you'll see why I say this if the picture downloads) or where you live, Santa Claus or whatever you call him can still bring a smile to your face.
Thank you Lord for this day and thanks to all my supporters out there for helping to make this possible.  I wish you could all experience this with me but for now I'm glad to do it for you!    Luke 1:49 He who is mighty had done great things for me, holy is His name.
Tracy
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment