I left my comfy job as an ICU nurse in America to spend 6 months in South Africa working as a volunteer nurse in a longterm HIV/AIDS care center. I have no idea what God has planned for me but this is me sharing my stories and adventures along the way.







Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Forgive me I know not what I write

Hello Everyone and welcome to my first blog.  I figure it's mine so it doesn't matter if it's not perfect.  I have so much to say but want to keep it short so I can keep what little audience I may attract!
Africa is absolutely AMAZING!  I have no regrets about being here and have not been homesick yet.  I was so happy to be back in the township of Red Hill with the Low Country team when they were here.  I was so sad to see my "family" leave me but realize I am beginning a whole new family here.

I started work at the Health Care Center on Monday.  It was like the first day of school all over again with the feelings of "Can I do this?".  Well can I?  I figure God brought me here for a purpose so I AM gonna do it.  This is definately not American medical practice but it works for them here.  I wish you could see all the services and care that these patients get because Living Hope was started.  They don't have to get HIV and die.  They are very sick don't get me wrong but they have promise of continued life and a chance to know Jesus while they are with us.  It's very cool to be able to speak freely about God/Jesus without getting "in trouble" like I would back home.

I've had my heart broken several times in the two days I've worked just seeing how sick people can get due to poor healthcare and lack of education.  Trying to give care and not cry at the same time is proving to be difficult.  If only we could all just see the blessings we have and not always be looking for something "better". 

I do miss parts of my life back home but can see that this is me doing God's work instead of doing what I want for a change.  With Jesus's guidance I am a change in the making.

Blessings and love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment